Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pin Up Girls, What's Not To Like?

A Pin Up Blog? Why yes, a Pin Up Blog.

I Don't know when I became fascinated with Pin Up girls, but at some point I found myself looking through the old magazines at an antique mall searching for images that I liked.

I've played guitar for many years, and I've always liked a good pin up girl sticker on a Fender Strat.

At the time, you could buy stickers like the one seen here, and put them on your guitar. I had an idea to find some images in the public domain and see if I could figure out how to put them on a guitar and re-clear coat the guitar so that it was part of the paint job, not just a sticker.

That sent me down a long road. I found some images in old publications that were not by any of the major pin up artists, and then I had a law student in Washington DC research the images for me at the Library of Congress to see if any of them had a valid copyright.

I was able to find some of the images were in the public domain.



That's my collection so far. I tried a few different techniques to get them on a guitar including water transfers, and a thin vinyl decal, but I wasn't able to get a really good result. Plus I would need to get a nice paint booth to make it look as good as I wanted it to.

So at this point, I've abandoned the idea for now of putting these images on guitars.

But I did a lot of work and spent a lot of money to get things to this point, so now I've put these images on t-shirts.

If you're a pin-up fan, I hope you like them. I make a buck or two on each shirt, but I'm doing it more for people who just want a cool Pin Up to wear.

Check out the t-shirt shop here:
http://www.printfection.com/pinupstuff


I'd appreciate any comments you have.

I just ordered a shirt myself, I'll post when I get it to let you know how it turned out.

Thanks

~ron

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.